Teachers exercise initiative and leadership essential to the improvement of the school and to increase students’ engagement in learning.
What to Look for:
- teachers and administrators, other than the principal, serve on and are actively engaged in leading committees that review and revise curriculum, assessment strategies, instructional practices, and school organization practices
- teachers and administrators, other than the principal, take the initiative to maintain currency through professional development, collaboration, research
- teachers and administrators, other than the principal, act as curriculum coordinators, department leaders, instructional coordinators, team leaders, and in other formal roles that support school improvement
- teachers and administrators, or then the principal, regularly recommend new initiatives or ideas that are implemented and will improve the overall climate and life of the school
- teachers and administrators are more often found offering solutions to concerns rather than lamenting the facts of problems the school might face