Teachers collaborate regularly in formal ways on the creation, analysis, and revision of formative and summative assessments, including common assessments.
What to Look for:
- the school has designated formal time for teachers, department leaders, and building administrators to collaborate regularly about assessment practices
- the professional staff reviews summative assessment data/results and makes modifications based on student learning in curriculum and instructional practices throughout the school year
- the professional staff reviews formative assessment results and makes modifications to curriculum and instructional practices throughout the school year
- the professional staff focuses increased attention on common assessment both within common courses and across curricular areas (common writing assignments, student exhibitions and portfolios, and major projects)
- all grade ten English teachers look at a sample of student essays to determine if the current writing rubric is appropriate
- the school maintains an appropriate balance between formative and summative assessments to ensure that daily, ongoing student learning is assessed